UK Label Formats
Food Allergen Labelling – Are You Compliant?
There are new EU regulations to which food manufacturers and food retailers must comply regarding who, what and how food should be labelled.
For example, the existing rules on allergen labelling have been changed – allergens must now be highlighted in the ingredients list, not listed separately.
The deadline for complying with EU regulation 1169/2011 regarding food labelling - the provision of food information to consumers - is 13th December, 2014.
The regulation is far reaching and covers more than just allergen labelling:
- Mandatory nutrition information on processed foods;
- Mandatory origin labelling of unprocessed meat from pigs, sheep, goats and poultry;
- Highlighting allergens e.g. peanuts or milk in the list of ingredients;
- Better legibility i.e. minimum size of text;
- Requirements on information on allergens also cover non pre-packed foods including those sold in restaurants and cafés.
Choosing the right solution
A solution for food labelling compliance comprises a printer, labelling software and suitable media.
Contact us on 01935 478700 for any advice we can help with.